Health & wellbeing support

Health & wellbeing support

Helping with your concerns (University support)

Adviser of Studies

Do you have questions or concerns about your course? Do you feel you are struggling with a course?

Contact your Adviser of Studies to discuss options.

Log into your MyCampus Student Centre to find out whom to contact.

Counselling & Psychological Services

Register for an initial assessment or drop in without an appointment to talk about your concerns.

Browse other helpful services.

Disability Service

Register with the Disability Service if you have any type of disability, chronic medical or mental health condition, sensory imparement, access or learning difficulties and require appropriate support.

Interfaith Chaplaincy

Open to students and staff of all faith/non-faith backgrounds.

View the range of events & services on offer.

SRC Advice Centre

The Students' Representative Council (SRC) Advice Centre provides advice, information and representation. The service is free of charge and open to all Glasgow University students.

Registering with a doctor

Registering with an NHS doctor

You should register with a local doctor (within the postcode area of your term-time home) who will be responsible for your medical care whilst at the University. This does not mean the relationship with your home doctor is broken. You may still consult him/her when on vacation.

Please note: you may have great difficulty in getting medical attention if you are not registered, especially if an emergency arises in the middle of the night.

GP Surgeries search - NHS24:

How to register with a local doctor

At a GP practice

Take your medical card with you. If you can not find this you will be given a form to complete at the practice.

Students living in University accomodation

You will be given the opportunity of registering with a local doctor at the start of your residence. Details will be avaliable from the Accommodation Office when you are given the keys for your accommodation.

Students living in private accomodation

Lists of General Practitioners are available in main post offices and public libraries. Contact your chosen practice to ask if you will be able to register with them. The staff at the practice will then advise you accordingly.

Overseas students

If you have not previously been registered with an NHS doctor and do not have an NHS medical card, you should inform the general practitioner you are registering with. If you experience any difficutly, visit us for advice.

Medical certificates

In most situations you should self-certify for any sickness absence of less than one week.

Registering with a dentist

Finding a dentist

Dentists search - NHS24:

Please note: some dental practices require the HC1 form from students (phone the practice to get more information).

Dental Emergency

If you are not yet registered with a dentist you can contact the Dental Hospital for an emergency appointment. However, they will only accept you if it is an emergency.

For patients unregistered with a dentist, daytime contact is: +44 (0) 141 232 6323
Out of hours treatment is available through a referral from NHS24: 08454 24 24 24.

NHS Services & other external support

NHS Services

You are entitled to NHS (National Health Service) care. This includes free access to all doctors, nurses, hospital treatments and medications. You will not be asked for payment.

NEW Men ACWY vaccination

This is a new vaccination programme to protect you against Meningitis.

You may have been called to have this vaccination prior to attending University and if so, you don’t need take any further action.

If you have not been vaccinated, the vaccine is available through your local medical practice. The University strongly encourages you to take up the offer of vaccination.

Flu vaccination

You may be eligible for flu vaccination under the NHS. Flu vaccination is available by payment through most local pharmacists. 

MMR Vaccination

A few years ago there was an outbreak of Mumps at the University. We would like to emphasise the University Policy states that if you suspect you might be infected with Mumps, you should not attend lectures and should seek medical advice to confirm the diagnosis.

Please ensure that you have had two MMR vaccinations. The MMR vaccination is available free of charge at your local medical practice.

NHS 24

Help Line

Self care advice for people in Scotland. Open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Telephone: 111


Browse for nearest Doctors, Dentists, Pharmacy, Sexual Health Clinic and Travel Clinic in the area.

NHS Choices

A comprehensive health information service with articles, videos and interactive tools.

NHS Self-Help Guides

Information directory on health conditions and treatments which can be searched by common topics.

NHS Hospitals

NHS Inform

A quality assured health and care information for people based in Scotland.

NHS Living Life

A telephone support service based on a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) approach. Call Monday to Friday 1300 - 2100 to make an appointment.
Telephone: 0800 328 96 55


NHS Services A-Z

A comprehensive health information service with articles, videos and interactive tools.

NHS Support Services directory

A directory of the Scottish Support Services. Browse for local and national organisations.

Breathing Space

Free and confidential phone and web based service for any individual experiencing low mood or depression.
Telephone: 0800 83 85 87

Health Rights Information Scotland

Information about health services in Scotland. Many of the resources on this website are offered in alternative formats and translations.

Mental Health & Wellbeing

A gateway to Scottish-focused information on different aspects of mental health and wellbeing.

Sexual Health Service

Information about sexual health and wellbeing.

Rape Crisis Scotland

Rape Crisis Scotland provides crisis support for anyone in Scotland affected by sexual violence at any time in their lives.


Freephone: 08088 01 03 02 (deaf and hard of hearing: +44 (0) 141 353 3091), available all week 1800 – 2400

Women’s Aid

Women’s Aid is the national charity working to end domestic abuse against women and children.


Freephone: 0808 2000 247 24hr (Run in partnership between Women’s Aid & Refuge)