All LKAS Leadership Fellowship applications must be submitted through the relevant College Office. Please ensure you contact your College Office prior to submitting a Leadership Fellowship application.
Our flagship Lord Kelvin Adam Smith (LKAS) Fellowship Scheme was established in 2006 to enable the recruitment of outstanding researchers in the early stages of their careers, who are on a trajectory to become leaders in their chosen field. The scheme offers Fellows the opportunity to establish, or further develop, an independent research career.
Leadership Fellowships offer support for those applying for externally funded fellowships. They also support external applicants already holding externally funded fellowships who would like to join the University of Glasgow.
For researchers based at the University of Glasgow, applications for Leadership Fellowship funding must be submitted in conjunction with an application for an external award. Applications will not be accepted after the external fellowship is awarded. Once approved by the relevant College, LKAS Leadership Fellowship applications must be submitted to RSIO for institutional approval at least three weeks in advance of the external funding deadline. Please note: Colleges will have different processes in place for approving applications; please contact your College Office for more information.
Researchers currently employed at another institution, who have secured an externally funded research fellowship and wish to bring this to Glasgow, can apply for LKAS Leadership Fellowship funding prior to commencing employment at the University of Glasgow and starting their external fellowship.
What we are offering
What we are offering
- Leadership Fellowship funding is provided to supplement externally funded fellowships, specifically where match-funding is required or where additional support would strongly benefit the external fellowship application.
- External Fellowships leveraged by Leadership Fellowship funds must have a minimum duration of three years.
- Leadership Fellows will be offered salary match-funding and/or a research support grant, up to a maximum value of £100k. In addition, funding is also available to extend the external fellowship to a maximum of five years.
- Fellows will be appointed a mentor and will be entitled to participate in any of the training programmes and courses offered by the School/Institute, College or University.
- To support development, Fellows will set annual SMART objectives with their line managers.
- Prior to the end of the Fellowship, Fellows will meet with their line managers to discuss possible opportunities for continuing posts.
Who we are looking for
Who we are looking for
- Leadership funding will be available to high quality researchers who are in the early stages of their careers and are not already holding established positions within a relevant institution.
- Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria for the relevant externally-funded fellowship. Additionally, applicants will be expected to demonstrate an outstanding capacity for innovative research and have a strong publications record (specifically, to have identified 4* outputs post-2013).
- The University of Glasgow welcomes those returning to work after a period of absence or those who require a flexible working pattern, and supports schemes such as The Royal Society Dorothy Hodgkin Fellowships and The Daphne Jackson Trust Fellowships.
- All applicants will be judged against equivalent quality thresholds, with a focus on contribution to future REF exercises at the 4* quality level.
- Funding is available to potential Fellows in the process of applying to an external scheme who intend to undertake their research at the University. Alternatively, Leadership funds may be committed to support an external candidate already holding an external fellowship at another institution who wishes to transfer their fellowship to the University.
- In specific circumstances, previous holders of LKAS Fellowships will be eligible for Fully Funded Fellowships. Contact the relevant College Research Office with any queries regarding eligibility.
How to apply
How to apply
- Recruitment will be through an open call.
- Applicants should approach the PI or Head of School in the first instance.
- Applications must be made using the relevant Leadership Fellow application form (see below) and must be submitted by the relevant College Office, following discussions with the relevant College academics, no later than three weeks prior to the external deadline to allow time for review.
- The applicant's CV should be submitted with the Leadership Fellow application form.
- Following confirmation of eligibility, formal approval to commit funding will be sought from the Vice Principal (Research) and Senior Vice Principal.
|Leadership Fellow Fund Application_Applying for External Fellowship||
For applicants applying for externally-funded fellowships (Leadership Fellow applications must be made in conjunction with the external application and submitted no later than 3 weeks prior to the external deadline).
|Leadership Fellow Fund Application_Holding External Fellowship||
For external applicants, who are currently holding or have been awarded an externally-funded fellowship and wish to undertake their research at the University of Glasgow.
- For general queries on the LKAS Fellowships, please contact Kristy Bremner (Research Planning Manager) in the Research, Strategy & Innovation Office.
- For College-specific queries, please contact the relevant College Research Office.
- For information about research expertise in the Colleges, please see the College links below.